Barry Goodman, CEPA, CPA, CMAA, CVGA
I grew up in a business owning family. My father was a distributor of electrical supplies and lighting fixtures in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Through the experience of working in my father’s business, at a very young age, the challenges of being a family in business are ingrained in my soul.
Having chosen not to go into my family’s business, I became a Certified Public Accountant and owned my own CPA firm for over 20 years and then did my own transition to be a founding partner in a firm that grew to become one of the most successful middle-market firms in Chicago. The lessons I learned from the business owning families I served, enabled me to gain a reputation for recognizing a business’ strengths and challenges and identifying what could hold it back or push it to the next level. Seeing business owners make good and poor business and transition choices made me realize I had a passion for families-in-business, and I decided to focus my expertise and hands-on experience on a disciplined approach and process tailored to families and non-family stakeholders.
As an Advocate for the Outcome® I have successfully worked with families and closely held businesses to:
- Transition the ownership of a distribution company to the second generation.
- Facilitate of the sale of a closely held technology services company to a publicly held company.
- Facilitate the purchase/sale of the shares to a third-generation married-in family member.
- Facilitate the settlement of a shareholder dispute between two partner families in a thriving niche business.
- Facilitate the sale of a business to its management team.
- Assessment of a second-generation health care business to determine viability and development of a Roadmap for future generations.
- Assessment of a healthcare research firm to meet the needs of retiring owner and to shift away from a lifestyle business.
- Assessment of a first-generation metal services company where there were working and non-working heirs in the business, and facilitation of a solution to be fair and equal for all parties.
I invite you to call me for any reason related to the Value Acceleration and Transition-Readiness, but especially
- Creative and methodical solutions to issues in your family or closely held business.
- Transition issues between generations
- Governance in your family or closely held business
- You are considering a transition or sale, due to family issues or a sudden unexpected event
- Need information or education to become better acquainted with transitioning or value acceleration
- Are stuck or just need help on solving complex business issues.
To better service my clients, I have invested heavily in education. In addition to my degree from Northern Illinois University and being a Certified Public Accountant in Illinois. I became a Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA) in 2010, Certified Merger Acquisition Advisor (CMAA), and Certified Value Growth Advisor in 2016 (CVGA) in 2014 and received an Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising bestowed from the Family Firm Institute. I speak regularly to several organizations and business groups on Value Acceleration and Transition-Readiness. I have written an eBook, Is that All My Company Is Worth? Eight Steps to Take Now for a Higher Valuation, several articles and published in Family Firm Institute Publication the Practitioner.
Contact us to book your free strategy call.